email@example.com (Kelsey Vlamis)
- The FBI recovered 11 boxes of classified documents during its Mar-a-Lago raid on Monday.
- A lawyer for Trump told the Justice Department in June that there were no classified documents about the property, The New York Times reported.
- The report provides new details about what led to the unprecedented search for Mar-a-Lago.
A lawyer for former President Donald Trump signed a statement in June telling the Justice Department that all classified documents had been returned – but the FBI found more during its search of Mar-a-Lago on Monday.
It depends The New York Times, who first reported on the written statement on Saturday, citing four people familiar with the document. The statement was given to the Justice Ministry after a counterintelligence official visited Mar-a-Lago on June 3, the outlet reported.
But court records released on Friday showed the FBI recovered 11 boxes of classified files from Mar-a-Lago during its Monday search, including some that were labeled “top secret” and intended for storage in special government facilities. Trump has denied wrongdoing and claimed he declassified all the documents, but did not provide any documentation.
The June statement signed by Trump’s attorney and the subsequent retrieval of additional classified documents could cast doubt on Trump’s claims that he and his legal team were fully cooperating with the Justice Department’s investigation before the raid.
Accusations by Trump and his allies that the raid was politically motivated prompted the attorney general to take steps to make the Search warrant Public. Court documents revealed that the Department of Justice was investigating possible violations of three laws that related to the handling of government documents, including part of the Espionage Act.
Republican lawmakers have continued to demand further explanation of what prompted the raid. The written statement reported by The Times provides further insight into the events that led the Justice Department to take such unprecedented action.
Trump’s office did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.
Trump spokesman Taylor Budowich dismissed the report on the lawyer’s June statement.
“Like all Democrat-fabricated witch hunts before, the waters of this unprecedented and unnecessary raid are being carried by a ready-to-run media outlet with suggestive leaks, unnamed sources, and no hard facts,” he said. told the Times.