Corolla, N.C. — One of Corolla’s most-recognizable wild horses died Friday after drinking contaminated water.
The Corolla Wild Horse Fund posted on Facebook that Taco was the fourth horse in the lost two years to die from bacteria or other contaminants in the water.
The organization said 8-year-old Taco was one of the most recognizable horses because of a large lump that had been on his hip since he was 2-years-old. But, the lump never impacted his quality of life since it was a sterile abscess, according to the organization.
“Every single loss is a tragedy when you have such a small population to begin with, but some hit a bit harder than others,” Corolla Wild Horse Fund posted on Facebook. “Taco had such a big personality, and so many people became attached to him and helped us keep a constant eye on him.”
The organization said they have collected water from various locations where Taco roamed, and it has been sent out for testing. The organization said that while there isn’t much they will be able to do to get rid of any bacteria, the test results will help them know which areas are problematic to the horses and can help them keep an eye out for intestinal issues and other issues.
They added that the other wild horses recently seen with Taco appear to be OK.