With federal officials having identified the man believed to be behind Nashville’s Christmas Day bombing, authorities now turn to the monumental task of piecing together the motive behind the explosion that severely damaged dozens of downtown buildings and injured three people.
While officials on Sunday named Anthony Quinn Warner, 63, as the man behind the mysterious explosion in which he was killed, the motive has remained elusive.
“These answers won’t come quickly and will still require a lot of our team’s efforts,” FBI Special Agent Doug Korneski said at a Sunday news conference. “Though we may be able to answer some these questions as our investigation continues, none of those answers will be enough by those affected by this event.”
In just a few days, hundreds of tips and leads have been submitted to law enforcement agencies. Yet thus far, officials have not provided information on what possibly drove Warner to set off the explosion.
David Rausch, the director of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, told reporters on Sunday that Warner had not been on the radar before Christmas.
Furthermore, officials have not provided insight into why Warner selected the particular location for the bombing, which damaged an AT&T building and continued to wreak havoc on cellphone service and police and hospital communications in several Southern states as the company worked to restore service.
Forensic analysts were reviewing evidence collected from the blast site to try to identify the components of the explosives as well as information from the U.S. Bomb Data Center for intelligence and investigative leads, according to a law enforcement official who said investigators were examining Warner’s digital footprint and financial history, as well as a recent deed transfer of a suburban Nashville home they searched.
Nashville Explosion Coverage
The official, who was not authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity, said federal agents were examining a number of potential leads and pursuing several theories, including the possibility that the AT&T building was targeted.
Korneski said Sunday that officials were looking at any and all motives and were interviewing acquaintances of Warner’s to try to determine what may have motivated him.
The bombing took place on a holiday morning well before downtown streets were bustling with activity and was accompanied by a recorded announcement warning anyone nearby that a bomb would soon detonate. Then, for reasons that may never be known, the audio switched to a recording of Petula Clark’s 1964 hit “Downtown” shortly before the blast.
Warner, who public records show had experience with electronics and alarms and who had also worked as a computer consultant for a Nashville realtor, had been regarded as a person of interest in the bombing since at least Saturday, when federal and local investigators converged on the home linked to him.
Federal agents could be seen looking around the property, searching the home and the backyard. A Google Maps image captured in May 2019 had shown a recreational vehicle similar to the one that exploded parked in the backyard, but it was not at the property on Saturday, according to an Associated Press reporter at the scene.
On Sunday morning, police formally named Warner as being under investigation.
Officials said their identification of Warner relied on several key pieces of evidence, including DNA found at the explosion site. Investigators had previously revealed that human remains had been found in the vicinity.
In addition, investigators from the Tennessee Highway Patrol recovered parts from the RV among the wreckage from the blast, and were able to link the vehicle identification number to an RV that was registered to Warner, officials said.
“We’re still following leads, but right now there is no indication that any other persons were involved,” Korneski said. “We’ve reviewed hours of security video surrounding the recreation vehicle. We saw no other people involved.”
Police were responding to a report of shots fired Friday when they encountered the RV blaring a recorded warning that a bomb would detonate in 15 minutes. Suddenly the warning stopped, and “Downtown” started playing.
The RV exploded shortly afterward, sending black smoke and flames billowing from the heart of downtown Nashville’s tourist scene, an area packed with honky-tonks, restaurants and shops.
Buildings shook and windows shattered streets away from the explosion near a building owned by AT&T that lies one block from the company’s office tower, a landmark in downtown.
But on Sunday, just blocks from where the bombing took place, tourists had already begun to fill the sidewalks on Lower Broadway, a central entertainment district. Some took selfies while others tried to get as close as possible to the explosion site, blocked by police barricades.
Earlier Sunday, the officers who responded provided harrowing details, at times getting choked up reliving the moments that led up to the blast.
“This is going to tie us together forever, for the rest of my life,” Metro Nashville police Officer James Wells, who suffered some hearing loss due to the explosion, told reporters at a news conference. “Christmas will never be the same.”
Officer Brenna Hosey said she and her colleagues knocked on six or seven doors in nearby apartments to warn people to evacuate. She particularly remembered a startled mother of four children.
“I don’t have kids but I have cousins and nieces, people who I love who are small,” Hosey said, adding she had to plead with the family to leave the building as quickly as possible.
Balsamo and Tucker reported from Washington. Associated Press journalists Scott Stroud and Mark Humphrey in Nashville contributed to this report.
One of the first examples of just how infectious and deadly the coronavirus could be loomed large off the shore of San Francisco 10 months ago as the Grand Princess cruise ship became the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak at the time.
It docked at the Port of San Francisco in a state of crisis, many passengers ill. Some went on to die.
Much has happened since February, when the passengers got back on dry ground.
Angela Rodriguez was a passenger aboard the Grand Princess. She recalled good memories of a beautiful vacation with loved ones, sunrises and sunsets… but that’s where the good memories end.
“Me and my sister, the whole time on the cruise, we were being so careful,” Rodriguez said.
Careful because at the time, they heard occasional stories about a virus in China that was potentially deadly.
But four days after they got off the ship, they learned another passenger on their cruise, a Placer County man, had died from the coronavirus.
A few days after that, a notice came from the cruise line.
“They emailed me, saying that someone on our ship was positive, and if I showed any symptoms to go get tested,” Rodriguez said.
By the first week of March, the Grand Princess, initially streaming its way toward Hawaii, was now circling back to a multi-week quarantine at the Port of Oakland.
Rodriguez and her family, who were already back home, were getting test results back.
“I was the only one in my family who got it,” she said.
Like many passengers aboard the ship, Rodriguez got extremely sick.
More than 100 people eventually tested positive and dozens were hospitalized.
“It was like nothing I had ever before, and it took like three months to get rid of the cough,” Rodriguez said.
At least two lawsuits have been filed by passengers or families alleging that the cruise line knew there was a viral outbreak and had sick passengers, but didn’t warn crew and passengers early enough to prevent illnesses and deaths.
Rodriguez said that she and her family are not parties in any of the suits, but she feels awful for workers, most from the Filipino community, who were sickened by the virus.
It took months for her cough to go away, and she hopes a lingering fatigue from the virus will fade over time.
“You get winded, but it’s not real problematic. I just work through it,” she said.
She hopes to get vaccinated soon and put this pandemic behind, remembering the good times and the sunsets again.
In Santa Clara County, health leaders are concerned about a surge on top of a surge as ICU beds quickly fill.
On Sunday, hundreds of people were at the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds in San Jose to get tested for COVID, but public health leaders say that getting tested isn’t enough to travel.
Hospitals in Santa Clara County remain overwhelmed as COVID patients fill up intensive care units. On Sunday night there were just 25 ICU beds in the county of two million people, leaving hospitals to strategize how to care for patients.
“Every morning hospitals are huddling together, trying to distribute patients to provide the best quality care,” said Dr. Ahmad Kamal, Santa Clara County director of healthcare preparedness. “We’re concerned about the effects of Christmas and New Year’s on our healthcare system.”
With an increase in patients, Kaiser Permanente has postponed elective and non-urgent surgeries at all of its Northern California facilities through January 4. Sutter health is also postponing some elective surgeries.
Emergency rooms are also stretched thin. Today county health leaders again urged people wanting a COVID test to steer clear of emergency departments and instead visit COVID testing sites like the one a the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds.
Kamal said that 40% of people who have COVID are asymptomatic so it’s important for everyone, not just those with symptoms, to avoid travel and getting together with people outside their households.
“Given that people have been traveling and gathering, we remain concerned about a surge on top of a surge,” said Kamal. “Thanksgiving was all we can take.”
This is why he is urging people to cancel New Years Eve plans, because he said the county simply can’t afford to have any more cases of COVID.